Eye surgeons can improve your vision and entire eye health in life-changing ways, but often times it can be difficult to find the right surgeon for you. When deciding between practices and other surgeons in your area, take these following qualities into consideration.
- Experience – This is one of the most important factors when deciding who will be your surgeon. Don’t be afraid to ask your potential surgeon how long they have been in practice for, and how patients they have treated with similar conditions to yourself. Eye surgeons with a great amount of experience will have seen more patients, and be bettering able to diagnose and treat your condition.
- Specializations – Ask your surgeon about her or his specialties and certifications. Some surgeons have specialized training when it comes to performing certain procedures or treating specific conditions. For example, if you are interested in LASIK, find a surgeon who specializes in these surgeries.
- Positive Reputation – A simple way to find an excellent surgeon is to search what previous patients have to say, and learn about the doctor’s reputation is among the medical community. There are many ways today to find patient reviews online. As for professional reputations, you might consider which awards or organizations the surgeons has received recognition from.
- Availability – You will clearly want to find an eye surgeon that is easily accessible to you. If you find it difficult to schedule consultation or treatments, this is a poor sign. It is important that you ask your potential eye surgeon how you will receive medical attention and guidance if by chance you were to experience complications after your eye surgery. A trusted surgeon and practice will have reliable procedures in place of emergencies.
- Hospitality – When contacting and visiting for the first time, pay attention to the way you are treated. Notice wait times, friendliness, whether the surgeon is forthcoming, and helpful when answering questions and will make you feel comfortable.